Here at Essential Safety Wear it is literally our business to be in the know about health and safety. We’ve put together this guide to the 15 most important things to remember when it comes to health and safety.
- It’s Everybody’s Business. No matter where you work, how big your team is or who is the boss, everybody is responsible for health and safety at work.
- It’s About The Risks Around You. You, or your team’s safety is compromised by any risk posed by the work environment. Recognising these risks and protecting people proportionately is the key to health and safety.
- All Equipment Must Be Safe To Use. Don’t take chances with machinery, tools, vehicles or any other work equipment. It should all, always be fit for purpose. Regular servicing and monitoring is essential.
- The Danger Isn’t Always Obvious. When concentrating on the obvious danger of a sharp spinning blade or reversing vehicle, it is easy to overlook smaller, less obvious hazards.
- Tiredness Is A Killer. Whatever the job, regular breaks and refreshments make for a more alert and safer workforce. Sometimes thinking ‘just get this finished first’ could result in a lack of concentration.
- Training Is Essential. Everybody should be constantly learning about the risks around them and what measures to take to avoid accidents. This should be both formal and informal.
- Every Role Has Different Risks. There should be no shortcuts when jumping from one task to another. There may be changes to P.P.E. needed, or equipment to be washed to avoid contamination.
- The Workplace Must Be Safe. Every work environment should have the correct lighting, safe and comfortable temperatures and clearly marked exit routes. Safety issues related to a particular workplace should be displayed clearly.
- Know Who’s Around You. We should all be keeping each other safe of course. We should also always know who is around us, and whether they should be in that particular area. There must be measures in place to ensure the safety of visitors too.
- Keep Your Head Safe. Check out or full range of head protection. Our range covers all legally required safety headwear as well as products designed for workers’ comfort.
- Keep Your Hands Safe. Working with your hands in contact with chemicals, wet conditions, overly dry conditions, in extreme temperatures, in fact in most lines of work, can lead to skin problems. See our full range of gloves to suit any task.
- Keep Your Skin Safe. Working in any toxic or dangerous environment, or even in the midday sun, can leave exposed skin vulnerable. We should all cover up whenever regulations or professional advice says so.
- Keep Your Feet Safe. Everybody thinks of steel toe cap boots when they think of health and safety. Of course, our safety footwear range includes traditional work boots. Think about protection from slippages, rough ground and the weather too.
- Lead By Example. Whether you’re a driver, machine operator or the managing director, you need to show those around you that you treat your own, and everybody’s around you, health and safety as crucial to an incident free workplace.
- It’s Not ‘Health And Safety Gone Mad’! Health and safety regulations, laws and developments in kit and equipment, have all been made for a reason. According to government statistics, there are still well over 100 people killed every year whilst carrying out their work. Half a million people are thought to suffer some form of work related injury every year.
Whatever your workplace’s health and safety needs, get in touch for the best equipment, best prices and rapid delivery from us here at Essential Safety Wear.